Patrick Mackay

Patrick Mackay was a British serial killer active throughout the mid 70's killing 11 people within London and Kent.

In his early years, Mckay was subject to frequent physical abuse from his alcoholic father Harold Mackay, who died from a heart attack when he Patrick was just 11 years old, his father's final words were "remember to be good".

Struggling to come to terms with his fathers passing Patrick refused to go to the funeral and informed people his father was still alive carrying a photo of his father wherever he went. Not long after the funeral, the family moved to Gravesend with Patrick taking the position of "father figure" within the household. Family life in the Mackay household was extremely strained, Patrick would frequently beat his mother and young sisters with police being called to the household as much as 4 times a week. This resulted in Patrick being moved into specialist institutions 18 times from the ages of 12 to 22. It was during this time a female police officer and teacher both predicted Patrick would later go on and kill.

Patrick was known to have extreme fits of anger and was known to regularly abuse animals, setting fire to his pet tortoise. His anger and rage didn't stop at just animals, Patrick would later attempt to kill both his mom and aunt and a young local boy failing in both attempts. Because of such incidents, he spent his teenage years in and out of mental homes and institutions. At 15, he was diagnosed as a psychopath by a psychiatrist, Dr. Leonard Carr, who predicted Mackay would grow up to be a "cold, psychopathic killer." In October 1968, he was committed to Moss Side Hospital, Liverpool as a diagnosed psychopath. He was released in 1972.

Adulthood and murders

As he entered adulthood, Mackay developed a fascination with Nazism, calling himself "Franklin Bollvolt the First" and filling his flat with Nazi memorabilia. He lived in London and was frequently drunk or on drugs. In 1973, near his mother's home in Kent, he met and was befriended by a priest, Father Anthony Crean. Regardless, Mackay broke into Crean's home and stole a cheque for £30. Although Crean tried to persuade the police otherwise, they arrested and prosecuted Mackay, and he was ordered to pay compensation, but never did. The incident caused a rift between the two and Mackay returned to London. It was around this time, Mackay later claimed, that he had drowned a tramp in the River Thames.

On 21 March 1975, then aged 22, Mackay used an axe to kill Father Crean at the priest's home in the village of Shorne, hacking through the victim's skull and watching him bleed to death. He was swiftly arrested after a police officer recalled the incident between Father Crean and Mackay 18 months earlier. Mackay was soon considered by police to be a suspect in at least a dozen other killings over the previous two years, most victims being elderly women who had been stabbed or strangled during robberies. Mackay bragged that he had murdered 11 people.

Mackay was charged with five murders, but two charges were dropped through lack of evidence. In November 1975 he was convicted of manslaughter (due to diminished responsibility) and sentenced to life imprisonment. Still imprisoned more than 40 years later, he is reported to be among the 50 or so prisoners in the United Kingdom incarcerated under a whole life tariff and unlikely ever to be released.

490 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All